Friday, June 08, 2007

Off to the Opera....

I can't decide whether or not to take the Subway or the car downtown tonight.

St Joe's has generously offered a few of us here at the company free tickets to LUNA, a gathering of the 10 most spectacular Canadian Opera superstars to perform downtown at our Roy Thompson Hall. And...it's tonight.

We didn't know if the tickets were available until today but I did mention it to Pete last night and he said he'd pick up the kids if I was going. When I called him around noon today to tell him that I accepted the ticket (I'll be attending alone as usual), he sighed and commented on how he now has to re-arrange his schedule because of my plans.

I know I ruined his usual Friday evening with the boys but I'm always the one accepting his little surprise outtings. There were times when he needed to leave in the middle of dinner to help someone, or when Mike's (his cousin) car broke down on our 'family' night and he had to go help him, the time he had to go with Mike on a Sunday to look at a potential car for sale or how just the other night, I had to rush around to pick up both Juliana and Danica because he "lost track" of time.....I could go on. He should be willing and happy about giving me one night in return.

However, despite this bit of friction, I am going. Alone. I just wish I had someone close to me to enjoy it with.

I remember having a similar discussion with my sister on how she wasn't afraid to experience new places or things alone and she'd do it happily if nobody was around to join her. I, on the other hand, would love someone to share the experience with, to dance with or to have dinner with..... other than the little voice in my head telling me to walk faster when there's a creepy guy behind me or wondering why the idiot in the restaurant is staring at me while I'm eating. At least there someone there to let me know if I have a piece of broccoli stuck between my teeth. Going alone means I'll now have to ask the homeless man on the corner while showing him my pearly whites.

Trin

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So how was it? Thanks for including the Luna link! That was very cool.

I'm glad you went, even if you went alone. Better to have the experience alone, than never have it at all. Understand though, about you wanting to share experiences with someone. Wish there was more I could do...

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home