Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter weekend and spiritual growth....

I had one of the best visits with my parents.
My dad and I usually don't get into "heavy" conversations but sparked by previous news of Pete's Aunt who is on her death bed and awaiting the conversion into her new non-physical life, I just had to start our gathering by questioning why people think death is such a bad thing.

I know that my dad is an agnostic. He doesn't believe in God, our everlasting souls, spirits or anything of the like. We bantered about life and death like two children trying to find an answer to it all. He (being the old wise one), is convinced there is no such thing as an after life and I'm right back in his face smiling while I state that even though we can't see, hear or feel many things with our physical senses that they do exist. Christopher Columbus was once told that the earth was flat and he set out to prove everyone wrong. Instead of falling off the edge of the earth he discovered America. Scientists today are revealing new discoveries every day. New planets and solar systems are being found. Brain waves are being measured to test the power of thought. The possibilities are endless! What a fantastic topic to debate about! Deep conversations make me feel so...... alive!

Yeah, I do get the odd "we'll worry when she joins a cult" kind of comments from my family but I know they're joking.... I don't give a shit. If they'd prefer to be comfortable staying within the comfort of their non-life changing thoughts, that's up to them but that doesn't sway me from thinking outside the box. I love talking about spirituality. Nothing religious just ...connecting with your higher self and such.

The only comment that rubs me the wrong way is when Peter is bothered...or should I say embarrassed by my dialogues and conversations, especially with my own family. It's not as though I'm preaching or trying to convert anyone. Perhaps it's because the only thing spiritual about him is his ability to pray to the car Gods which is sadly why we don't discuss anything of true importance other than who's going to pick up the kids. Sometimes it worries me because I've read somewhere that if a couple grows apart spiritually they'll just end up separating physically. There's really nothing left.

I believe that your spiritual growth is the greatest contribution you can make to yourself. Committing to your spiritual growth starts by loving and accepting yourself as you are right now, acknowledging the light, love and power that you already have within you....and there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with that.

Trin

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very encouraging to read this, Trin. I'm someone who once had a deep faith in the spiritual life, but sadly lost it in the late 1990s after a series of tragedies hit people I knew and loved. I couldn't reconcile the belief in a loving compassionate God with all the cruelty and heartbreak in the world, that so often befalls those who least deserve it.

But I've come to realize that I had a much greater degree of inner peace back when I kept in tune with my own inner spirituality. I'm now on the verge of climbing over the barriers that have kept me away, and I want to return to the divine birth right of my spiritual home.

I've never really worried about dying, at least not my own death. Even during this spiritually barren period of my life, I've always felt that after death, there's either nothing, or there's everything... If there's nothing, then I won't be there to care. If there's everything, well then I'll know that a merciful loving Divine Intelligence is in control.

I love your last paragraph about spiritual growth, and how it begins with a loving acceptance of one's self here and now. I'd love even more to take this beyond words and practice it as my own life experience.

Thank you, Trin. This time it's you who has given me strength.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home