Friday, May 11, 2007

10 Conversations you should have with your children...

What a great book. It's written by that rabbi (well, I think he's a rabbi) who hosts that TV show called "Shalom in the Home".

Here's a brief rundown since I have to leave in 20 minutes.

1) Always ask your children "Who do you want to be" as opposed to "What do you want to be". Meaning, a good person or bad person.

2) Adults should never lose touch with their inner child. Fuse the child with the adult. Teach children that they should enjoy the present and not grow up too quickly.

3) There is more to life than academics or sports. Children should learn about life by asking questions and parents should always ask their children if they "want to know". It's all about intellectual curiosity.

4) Children should be taught to treat every individual as an equal. With dignity.

5) Men should learn to be more feminine. Every child should be nurturing with soft hearts and kind hands. They should grow up to honour and respect women. "The perfect man is a gay man who is attracted to women". I thought that was priceless!

6) Forgivness is critical in every relationship. Parents are not perfect and children need to know this.

7) Togetherness is mandatory. To share meals (having dinner together) and making an effort to communicate is important for children as well as adults.

8) Love. Showing how much you love them and what's in your heart (even if they don't want to hear it). Love brings us together. Hate drives us apart. Show more love in order to get more.

9) Teach children to confront their fears. Be cautious but not afraid. Teach them that they are bigger and more powerful than fear and that you as a parent will always be there.

10) God. Teach them that life is purposeful. God is with you always. It's all about "doing the right thing" and having children always ask themselves "would God approve?".

I could go on is detail about it but I've got a whole weekend and alot of talking to do. Gotta run!

Trin

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry if I seemed a little heavy handed with my comments on the book report post... The strange thing is that I think I responded that way because Danica reminded me a lot of myself at that age. It took years for me to get beyond that attitude, and I caused myself alot of needless set backs because of it. But Danica, like every child, is her own unique situation. And I know you're a wonderful mother, who will help her reach her full potential and self fulfillment.

Loved the excerpts from the book!

But would you really want a gay guy as your perfect man, even if he was hot for you? Lol Think of all the musicals you'd have to go to... I don't know, maybe you like musicals. But how many times can you watch Liza Minelli in Cabaret before you need an air sickness bag?

Just kidding!!! Happy Mothers Day!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home